Said to have been founded in 1188 upon the visit of Archbishop Baldwin and Gerald of Wales, St Peter’s lies on a natural rise in the centre of the small rural parish of Bryngwyn. Nearby is St Peter’s Well which for many years was the only source of water for the church and adjacent village school which is now a private residence.
St Peter’s is a typical small rural church that was enlarged by the addition of a north aisle and a chancel arch which has recently required buttressing. A square-headed two-light window on the south wall of the nave and a doorway and stairs in the north wall indicate the position of the old rood-loft. The high doorway in the tower indicates an old gallery, the rails of which, it is suggested, have been reused in the altar-rail. There is a trefoiled piscina in the Chancel south wall and Early English and Perpendicular windows. The imposing oak reredos was gifted by the Crawley family, and the head of our Lord falls to the North which unsurprisingly echoes the northward divergence of the Chancel axis.
The porch has been described as a poem in oak with its curved lintels, ogee arch and brace-arches. Stone seats and the handsome studded door show it to be an integral part of building.
Services at St Peter's Bryngwyn
8.30am Holy Communion except
1st Sunday of the month 3pm all age Holy Communion
Priest-in-Charge: Revd J Wakeling - Telephone: 012 9169 0330
Map showing location of Bryngwyn